Dragaera

A question on FHYA

Tue Nov 26 00:00:11 PST 2002

Andrew Bailey wrote:
> Gametech wrote:
>>

> Ok firstly, I think that there is a likleyhood that psionics were
> blocked, I am just stating that we do not have any real proof.
> And anyway I kinda like the idea that they didn't rather than
> they couldn't.
>
>> Even if it is the most likely conclusion? If Adron Knew that was
>> good enough for him to inquire to Aliera, From the way I gathered
>> things if Aliera said 'Daddy I helped a Jhereg Assassin that wants
>> to kill the Emperor out' I doubt he'd have been reprimanding her, or
>> at least I think that Aliera wouldn't fail to tell her father
>> because she was embarrassed.. err.. is Aliera capable of being
>> embarrassed?, heh.
>
> True, but Dragons tend to get funny about assination. But then again
> I don't understand Dragons.
>
> I feel that had Ardon wanted to get in touch with his daughter he
> could have, phoenix stone or no phoenix stone. He was after all the
> preminent sourcerer of his era and an adept at per-empire magic. Also
> he may have realised that if he knew why his daughter was imprisoned,
> politically he could have difficulty justifing getting angry. It
> seemed to me that his attitude was, this gives me an excuse to
> something I kind of want to do, finding out more information could
> remove that excuse.
>

>> My basis was on two specific things 1. I'm damn sure (unless my
>> perceptions deceive me) that Phoenix stone (black) exists in the
>> Empire's capital city's dungeon (of Vlad's time) and 2. that that
>> dungeon/prison/hotel room depending on who you are was the Empire's
>> capital city's and it's not like we are comparing two random apples
>> one being granny smith and the other being yellow delicious we are
>> comparing two very similar things the prisons of the Empire's
>> capital city, and moreover we know that Aliera and Adron were
>> capable of, etc., etc.
>>

> And my basis is that the imperial prison in Adrihlanka(sp?) is not the
> same building and if it was not built post Ardons disastor was at
> least heavily rebuilt. I doubt very much that they could move the
> capital without some serious remodelling of the facilities.
>
> Basically you are comparing architecture from different cities and
> probably of a different era of construction.
>
> Of course I could be completely wrong I just don't think we have
> enough evidence to make a conclusive argument on either side.
>
> Andrew.

We don't have enough evidence because the reason wasn't written to begin
with, even if we have several sources of confirming evidence it still isn't
cannon because we the reader made the connection not explicitly Steve. I'm
satisfied that the reasonability that there would be phoenix stone (black)
in the new prisons is a good theory because it is in fact a reason for why
they couldn't if they did in fact try, I don't particularly care if they did
try and failed that is all speculation but the fact that they didn't
communicate at least to our knowledge is why this question was brought up in
the first place.

*However, earlier in the book it is noted that Adron and Aliera are
*capable of psionic communication with each other.  So, this leads me to
*wonder, why didn't Aliera just tell her father what happened?

Either because she couldn't or because as you said she didn't want to tell
him why. I think it is more likely she couldn't than didn't try.

*And why
*didn't Adron try to communicate with Aliera to ask her?

Either he did and failed, didn't because he knew it wouldn't work or didn't
because he didn't want to know because he could have acted more angry if he
didn't know (I doubt that last one heavily because he likely had a guess
even if he was way off and a man like Adron seems like the type to stay
informed and verify his guess.)

Lastly it being two different types of architectures is I think is beside
the point becuase the stones just sit around anyway it's like saying well
you live in a tudor and I live in a victorian but I'll bet you we both have
a toilet becuase it's something that makes logistical sense to be there. The
stones aren't just there for decoration (unless Steve is being devious) They
were there to block communication, Oh and lastly even if psionic
communication is rare between people it is the way in which you'd
communicate to your patron diety so if nothing else it would block
communication of some variety that is to say the person couldn't pray to
thier god to save them (this tidbit of information is shared by vlad in I
believe Orca)

Alas  nothing else I must say that if I *had* to pick a specific reason why
there was no communication between the two I'd pick the one that made the
most sense, and was less obscure. That is up to the individual reader to
decide.