Dragaera

A question re: Beginning Fantasy for Youth

Tue Nov 26 00:06:52 PST 2002

At 07:26 PM 11/25/2002 -0600, David Rodemaker wrote:

> > > It's a much more general term, meaning pretty much "that allegedly
> > > sexual activity disgusts me".  Many people feel that way about Gor.
> >
> > Actually, that's a limited definition.  The most basic definition of
> > squick is something that disgusts or puts someone on the edge of
> > heebie-jeebies.  If something squicks you, the thought of it makes you
> > feel just not right, like scat play for some people, or needles (used in a
> > non-sexual manner).
>
>Hmmmm...
>
>I don't know about that...
>
>Whenever I use, or have seen squick used it has a sexual connotation.

Whenever I've either heard or used the term, it has been related to an
activity that is sexual to at least some people.  On the other hand, I'm
having trouble coming up with an actifity that isn't sexual to at least
some people.

The reason I like the term, however, is that it doesn't, so far as I know,
mean, "that disgusts me."  It more means, "I don't care for that."  In
other words, it is a way to say, "I have no interest in that activity,"
without saying, "ICK.  YUCK!  YOU MUST BE *SICK*."  This is especially
important if the latter is what you're actually thinking.

I believe Miss Manners would thoroughly approve of the term.