Dragaera

A question re: Begining Fantacy for Youth

Mark A Mandel mam at theworld.com
Tue Nov 26 06:08:15 PST 2002

On Tue, 26 Nov 2002, H. T. wrote:

#No, the type you are completely related to by mother and father, to
#distinguish from "step-brother".

Drat, I knew I was leaving something out of my earlier list of
possibilities. If your parents divorced or one of them died, and one of
them then marries someone who has a son by a previous marriage, your
parent's new spouse is your stepparent (stepfather or stepmother, hyphen
optional in all cases) and their son is your stepbrother.

A stepbrother has no genetic relationship to you and should not be
confused with a half-brother (hyphen required, IMHO), who is the son of
one of your parents but not the other. This situation typically arises
when someone who has a child by a previous marriage remarries and has a
child with the new spouse. The children of the remarried person, by the
different marriages, are each other's half-siblings.

"Full brother" can be used to refer to a male who is the (genetic) son
of both the people who are your (genetic) parents, to distinguish him
>from a half- or step-brother.

(And this doesn't even get into the question of host mothers and
sperm-donor fathers.)

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian, Orthoepist, and
   Philological Busybody
   a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel