Dragaera

A question re: Beginning Fantasy for Youth

Tue Nov 26 13:04:29 PST 2002

Steven Brust <skzb at dreamcafe.com> writes:

-snip-
> The reason I like the term, however, is that it doesn't, so far as I
> know, mean, "that disgusts me."  It more means, "I don't care for
> that."

In my experience, it means "that freaks me out / disturbs me a lot",
which is much stronger than "I don't care for that", and thus is
closer to "that disgusts me".

> In other words, it is a way to say, "I have no interest in that
> activity," without saying, "ICK.  YUCK!  YOU MUST BE *SICK*."  This
> is especially important if the latter is what you're actually
> thinking.

I think I would agree, however, that indeed it does not necessarily
convey "that freaks me out, therefore if you [like it] / [aren't
bothered by it] there is something wrong with you".  On ASB, where it
apparently was first used on Usenet, I think a mantra was -"that is
not my kink, but your kink is ok"-.

> I believe Miss Manners would thoroughly approve of the term.

Heh.

- tky