Dragaera

A question re: Beginning Fantasy for Youth

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Tue Nov 26 14:55:05 PST 2002

Thomas Yan <tyan at twcny.rr.com> writes:

> Steven Brust <skzb at dreamcafe.com> writes:
>
> -snip-
> > The reason I like the term, however, is that it doesn't, so far as I
> > know, mean, "that disgusts me."  It more means, "I don't care for
> > that."
>
> In my experience, it means "that freaks me out / disturbs me a lot",
> which is much stronger than "I don't care for that", and thus is
> closer to "that disgusts me".

I think of it as "that disgusts me, glad you like it" or some such.  I
*do* think it indicates a fairly strong negative reaction.

> > In other words, it is a way to say, "I have no interest in that
> > activity," without saying, "ICK.  YUCK!  YOU MUST BE *SICK*."  This
> > is especially important if the latter is what you're actually
> > thinking.
>
> I think I would agree, however, that indeed it does not necessarily
> convey "that freaks me out, therefore if you [like it] / [aren't
> bothered by it] there is something wrong with you".  On ASB, where it
> apparently was first used on Usenet, I think a mantra was -"that is
> not my kink, but your kink is ok"-.

My canonical version is "Your kink is ok, but it is not my kink".

> > I believe Miss Manners would thoroughly approve of the term.
>
> Heh.

She might well.  Although it's pretty honest for her.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net