Dragaera

Damiano's Lute

Tue Nov 26 16:46:01 PST 2002

David Dyer-Bennet wrote:
> Chris Olson - SunPS <Chrisf.Olson at Sun.COM> writes on 26 November 2002
> at 09:50:08 -0800  > > I get cranky when far-future societies have
> anything recognizable as  > > religion, personally.  Makes no sense
> it would last that long.  >
>  > Now, as a die-hard skeptic and militant agnostic, I'd
>  > *like* to agree with you, but...
>  >
>  > Why do you think we, as a species, would have no religion in the
>  > far-future?  Up to now, it seems to be going strong, and we've
>  > been around and evolving (well, SOME of us have been evolving:)
>  > for what, twenty thousand years, give or take?  (I'm not sure
> exactly  > how long homo sapiens have been conducting religious
> practices...:)
>
> It's going strong *here*, and in a lot of third-world places, but it's
> remarkably dead throughout the rest of the developed world.  We're
> kind of an outlier.
>
>  > But I'm curious as to why you think it would be gone...
>
> Partly optimism, partly that it is so clearly counter-productive.

ooops....

I dare say that I've seen the positive affect that can happen when someone
who practices their faith does so, even if the very act is neanderthalic to
you, anything that enriches the life of humanity to me doesn't seem clearly
counter-productive. What is counter-productive is arguing about it, there is
always going to be someone out there that believes the exact opposite of you
and to them on a fundamental or 'spiritual' level if you prefer.
Fundamentals don't budge otherwise they wouldn't be fundamental to those
people.

I'm faithless so to speak, but I have witnessed the power of what faith can
do by watching others. It has been my personal opinion for quite a while
there is no greater human force than belief, after all we don't act based on
things we don't believe to be true.

Near as I can tell mostly every religion has pushed some pretty key concepts
in human interaction -- of which Bill and Ted can best sum up "Be excellent
to each other."

What I think is actually counter-productive is idiots believing they need to
'convert someone' or 'kill in the name of god', or pretty much anything else
in the name of god (the idea of their faith or whatever), after all if god
wants something done I'm sure It'd prefer to do it itself but I could be
wrong about that.

I'd like to believe that is what most atheists are missing because it's what
I felt I was missing for so long when trying to decide if I was one. I've
seen the argument that not believing in a god makes more 'sense' because you
lack any proof for it's existence therefore the default is 'no god' have you
thought that it is actually just as rational to believe exactly the
opposite? That God exists unless I am given some good reason for his
incapability to exist? How would you explain reality? Here's the big part
Can you prove it?!

Not a chance; and you know it.

Being an atheist as far as I can tell means you've decided there is no such
thing as god.

Being 'x religion' that believes in god means you've decided you believe in
god.

That is all. The two of those factions arguing is in fact futile if their
goal is to convince the other. They have along the way spurned plenty of
ideas and good ones too, just like many other beliefs have for humanity.

Mostly everyone you will see accepts that the universe exists and that if
for no other reason than without it's existence we wouldn't be here right
this second and that it's the biggest force we know of. that I owe any
'patronage' or what have you to the universe or the power that is behind
it's existence, if that's a god so be it. Somehow I think that if it
mattered if I personally believed in the existence of said god it'd be
clearer than it is, as it stands I exist and I'm pleased about that, 1500
years ago maybe someone thought what I'm thinking and limited themselves to
the concept of owing their patronage to the earth... what's the worst thing
that we could do?(destroy each other? Ha we already do that! In the name of
many things, things as mundane as money) and then what's the best thing?
Cherish the earth? Cherish the universe?! How counter-productive is it
ponder these things?

The lack of religion in Sf/fantasy would to me make it to me Less
believable.

"Be excellent to each other."