Dragaera

Damiano's Lute

Penney, Sean seanp at ea.com
Wed Nov 27 11:46:02 PST 2002

Damien Sullivan wrote:

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 12:05:36PM -0500, Peter H. Granzeau wrote:

>> I went hunting once for a word to describe lack of belief in any Deity
>> (including active non-belief in a Deith) and failed miserably.  I always

>"godless"

>> need something that not only says "there is no God", but says, "and I don't
>> care if there is one or not".

>"apatheist"

>While I understand David's denial of a lack of interest in the matter, it's
>also nice to be able to say "go away, I don't care".  A Gordian knot approach.
>After all, a Great Sky Father who doesn't _do anything_ needn't be of that
>much concern, really.  And if He did something noticeable, then we wouldn't be
>arguing over His existence...

I think one of my main problems with modern religions, esp. those of "The Book" (ie: those with a history of non-tolerance in the form of crusades/jihads and inquisitions) is the idea of a male creator.  It seems like such an obvious co-opting of power from the myriad female fertility gods of antiquity.  The vengeful desert god of the Old Testament seems logical - male, unrelenting and without mercy, whereas the god of the new law, the New Testament, seems to have the qualities of those earlier feminine gods.  It's like a rival broadcasting company contriving a white Oprah.  A forgiving male god will appeal to a larger audience, and more importantly, an audience that holds most of the power in the world.  And Jesus laid the smackdown when necessary - exactly what you want in a ruler - justice and strength to free the oppressed, and mercy for the masses.

So while I cannot prove that there is or is not a god, I can look at the evolution of Christianity (what happened to all those folks who went to Hell for eating meat on Sundays(?) now that it is no longer an imperil-your-soul sin?) and see how it responded to the needs of the time, and think to myself, wow, good PR, excellent timing - who's in charge of this company?  How do I buy stock?