Dragaera

Damiano's Lute

Wed Nov 27 21:47:44 PST 2002

On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 11:52:02PM -0600, Lydia Nickerson <Lydy at demesne.com> wrote:
> I'm with DDB on the neurochemistry.  Having the last half of my life
> on various psych drugs, I'm fully convinced of the chemistry of my
> existence.  There have also been studies, some recent, which suggest
> that religious states, such as deep meditation or prayer or feeling
> like one is speaking directly to god are physical states, ones that
> some people's bodies are designed to accept.  A genetic
> predisposition toward God, like I have a genetic predisposition to
> manic depression.

This doesn't necessary deny the validity of that experience.
Imagine a supremely powerful alien being who wishes to guide
humanity in their evolution.  Sometime before the dawn of history
he lands, introduces a genetic change into the species, causing
some humans to build a biological "god receiver" to which he can
broadcast messages when humanity needs a prophet.

So maybe we can scientifically explain the feelings, but that
doesn't mean they aren't triggered by God.

> In many ways, I think it's really really cool that
> we're finding out so much about how the world works, and being able
> to medicate people's brains in more and more precise ways.  I don't
> worry about losing my humanity very often.  Not yet.  The danger will
> come when people stop having the right to choose their own medical
> care.  In the mean time, Better Living Through Chemistry!

In case you haven't noticed, that's already becoming the case.
Read up on ritalin and kids for a good example.

Personally, I have severe concerns about any sort of compulsory
(or even merely encouraged) regression to some defined
"normality".  Diversity of thought and opinion are worthwhile
things; creativity and art are social goods; the existing
structures need to be challenged rather than assumed.

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)
Public Key: http://matthew.infodancer.org/public_key.txt