Dragaera

Damiano's Lute

Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com
Thu Nov 28 09:00:45 PST 2002

Mia McDavid wrote:
> Lydia asked:
>  >Why do you find what you perceive to be DDB's beliefs to be repellant?
> Ummm, lessee.  He believes that there is no God.  My life revolves
> around my belief in God; I would be crushed if God's non-existence could
> be somehow proven.
>
> He thinks my belief in God is a personality disorder and wants to cure
> me.  Gee.  Thanks.

Um, if you would be crushed if God were proven to not exist (which is
impossible, but let's set that aside for the moment), then what you have
really sounds to _me_ like a crutch, more than anything else.  An unhealthy
dependence on something (perceived to be) outside yourself.  Just the same
as if I were to be crushed if, say, my wife left me.  (Really happened about
seven years ago, in fact.  I was.  It was unhealthy from the getgo.)

Your belief itself may not be a disorder, but the fact that you feel that
without it you couldn't function is pretty unhealthy, IMNSHO.
--
Frank Mayhar frank at exit.com	http://www.exit.com/
Exit Consulting                 http://www.gpsclock.com/