Dragaera

Domino's Lute

chris cunningham chrislee at neo.rr.com
Thu Nov 28 10:25:43 PST 2002

From: "Damien Sullivan" <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu>
> Right, there's more to the science/religion debate than God.  Science has
> bail out on the First Cause (not that anyone else has anything concrete to
say
> about it) but can be pretty darn confident IMNSHO about their being no
room or
> need for a soul.  Well, maybe I'm projecting here, but it does seem this
way
> to me.

two quibbles:
"...bail out on the first cause, so far,..."
and i'd replace "no room or need" with "no evidence."

> OTOH, Steve, I think your insistence about Buddhism revering superhuman
powers
> was a bit confusing.  Supernatural elements, yeah, and as I said a lot of
> powers where Buddhism has usually been practised, but people over here
> probably usually don't think in terms of hells and demons and flying Wu
Don
> masters...

but they do believe in reincarnation?  what then does buddhism posit, if
anything, as the origin of this supernatural process of transplantation of
memories and/or personality?  or do they bail on first cause arguments, too?

chris cunningham,
np: grateful dead "black peter"