Dragaera

E'Barritt Line?

Fri Nov 29 15:03:09 PST 2002

>I was rereading /Jhereg/ while waiting for /Paths of the Dead/ to appear at my
>local bookstore, and I came across a reference to the first Dragon-Jhereg war.
>The book says that "The e'Kieron line was almost wiped out, and for a while it
>seemed the e'Barritt line had been" (Jhereg, p74). This confused me. I thought
>I remember it being a point of /Dragon/ that when Barritt died, his
>descendants
>began calling themselves e'Barritt as a tribute to his greatness. So how could
>there have been any e'Barritts before the Interregnum, let alone during the
>first Dragon-Jhereg war? Anyone have any ideas?

Um. Uh. Okay, how's this:

After several gazillion years of Dragaerans, they're eventually going to
run out of good-sounding names and start repeating themselves. So maybe
there was an e'Baritt line named after someone else named Baritt, that got
wiped out in the D-J war, and the 'new' Baritt just happened to be cool
enough to get the line revived. Vlad, being an Easterner and untutored in
Dragon history, might not be able to tell the difference between the e'Baritts.

----
The time for action is past-- now is the time for senseless bickering!
--Ashleigh Brilliant