Dragaera

The Religion Debate

Sat Nov 30 12:15:11 PST 2002

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 11:30:29PM -0600, David Dyer-Bennet wrote:

> Religion is much deeper, in most societies, than TV is.  Furthermore,

Although America's working on the problem. ;)

> Easy to ignore?  You must not live in the US.  When I was in school,
> the day began with the pledge of allegiance, including the phrase
> "under god".  On wednesdays, most of the students were released from
> school for a few hours for religious instruction.  Liquor stores and,

And note the recent flap when a court tried to knock down the "under God"
clause.  All of Congress rushed in lockstep to defend it, except maybe for
the ex-Green from Oakland, I forget her name.

I'd forgotten about the Wednesday exodus.  We had that too, in my Gifted
public grammar school in Chicago.  It wasn't most of the students, but the
Catholics (I think) did get off.  'CCD' was the program, I think.

Although eventually I got to take half days off to go take algebra, Latin and
Biology early.  Hee hee...

> when I was younger, most other stores, were closed on Sunday.  Birth

Here in Bloomington, IN, in general a liberal college town, stores can't sell
liquor -- maybe alcohol period -- on Sunday.  Odd to think the 24-hour
supermarket can't sell a whole aisle of stock at some point.  That might be
Indiana law, not local.

> Gambling and drinking are heavily regulated.  Anything having to do
> with sex is difficult and legally dangerous.

Some parts of the country are better there.  NYC, San Francisco, probably
LA...

> I've had religion thrown in my face multiple times *every single day*

That I can't say.  I've been places where Christians at least seemed an
endangered species; my normal college experience was dominated by the godless,
foofy pagans, and shock-value Satanists.

-xx- Damien X-)