Dragaera

Useability [was: Straw Poll]

Sat Nov 30 13:26:30 PST 2002

Rick Castello <rick at 404.978.org> writes:
-snip-
>      If the discussion is compelling enough, perhaps people will
>      start using smarter mail clients,

Yeah, right.

>      or (gasp!) learn/remember the way the list works.

I think this is about equally incorrect and unhelpful as saying people
who can't spell are stupid.  This seems to me to be part of the
attitude that if people have trouble using software, it's because
people are stupid or too lazy to read the manual, rather than because
the user-interface sucks.

I will admit that, probably like just about everyone else, although I
complain about crappy software, I have never written (snail or e-mail)
to the companies to complain.

- tky

P.S. I forget if the mailing list software respects Reply-To fields in
     the original message; I've tried to set the Reply-To field to
     dragaera at dragaera.info for this message.  If it works, I may try
     to make that the default for all my posts here.

P.P.S. Tangent: When I send sensitive e-mails, sometimes I leave the
     To: field blank until I'm happy with the message.  *Then* I fill
     it in and send the message.  That way, if I accidentally
     prematurely "send" the e-mail, it won't actually go anywhere.
     (I'm assuming there is no CC or BCC field, except possibly back
     to myself.)