Dragaera

Straw Poll about "Reply-to" (was: Damiano's Lute)

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Sat Nov 30 22:23:49 PST 2002

Joshua Kronengold <mneme at io.com> writes:

> David Dyer-Bennet writes:
> >It's been suggested that mail clients implement "reply to sender" as
> >yet another workaround.  However, the easiest solution is simply to
> >implement the RFC defining message headers giving posting, subscribe,
> >and unsubscribe addresses.
>
> Hmm. I'd seen such around ,but hadn't seen them in use, nor known that
> EZMLM implemented them.

Well, EZMLM lets me add arbitrary headers, so it's easy to tell it to
add these.

> Should get off my duff and add a few bits to my mail compose hook to
> make it act as if this is an alternative reply-to address (during
> follow-ups only).
>
> Ok, done -- (only 1.5 hours after I started; -man- my Lisp stinks,
> even if it's existent).  Very nice; if anyone uses VM (an emacs
> mailreading package that works just -fine- in a shell, and is far, far
> better than Pine) and wants my ugly (because it involves redefining
> VM's Lisp functions to make it call my stuff, and therefore overrides
> vm's basic functions for that  purpose; it's actually fairly elegant
> aside from that), but usable patch to treat the contents of
> "List-Post" (parsed appropriately) like a reply-to that only works
> when following up, email me.

Well, I use VM -- but not for reading mailing list mail.  I'm in a
split VM / GNUS configuration, weirdly enough.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net