Dragaera

A few Cracks

Mon Dec 2 09:15:51 PST 2002

Jag wrote:
> Where was the Palace before the Interregnum?
>
> In FHYA when Adron first went to the city in order to get to the
> palace, the Lord Mayor sent word to the Emperor in order to know if
> Adron should be allowed when.  When relaying this information to the
> Emporer, Khaavren says that the request is from the Lord Mayor of
> Adrilankha (FHYA 75-76).
>
> We feel an error has been made in this.  It is obvious that the
> Captain of His Majesty's Guard would know what city he resides in.
> And the original author of the manuscript is such a studious fact
> checker that there is no way he would have let the wrong city name
> enter the text, at least not without some form of explination.
> Although we are hesitant to do so, we feel we must look at the
> translator of this manuscript to find the source of this problem.  It
> is apparent that he must have been working on one of those silly Vlad
> stories[1], and simply wrote down the wrong city name.  That is,
> unless the translator wishes to push to blame even further down the
> line to the publisher.
>

> Entering Homes before the Interregnum
>
> Vlad says that it is commonly believed that members of the House of
> Athyra don't have doors into their homes, so that only those who can
> teleport can enter, then goes on to mention that they do have small
> doors for sevrants (Taltos 48).  Taltos isn't set that far after the
> Interregnum (relatively speaking), so it would be my guess that most
> of the buildings in the Empire were actually built long before the
> Interregnum and have just been kept up over the years.  It is also
> known that before the Interregnum, there were no confirmed teleports
> (FHYA 534).  So, either all the Athyra's rebuilt their homes after the
> Interregnum to not have door (not very likely), or they had another
> way to get into their homes before
> the Interregnum.

I would assume after the orb stopped functioning many house affecting spells
stopped working leaving many homes in disrepair. At any rate from the time
the interregnum ended -- when a new piece of technology enters our world it
can take fewer than 40 years to reach 90% saturation rate, take for instance
the microwave oven (90% is an actual referenced number, I was heard is on
npr so :P) it was originally invented in the 50's but really didn't get
produced in a useable fashion or cheap enough to buy till the 60's. -- Even
if Dragaerans have a longer life 100-200 years of a new technology existing
(or spell in this case) could have given them time to change one simple
thing about their house (the door! for the Athyra, floating castles for
Morrolan and the like)

You really wouldn't have to rebuild your entire house to remove the door and
seal the doorway, normal physical construction would allow you to do it in a
single day which to a Dragaeran is less than an hour to us. I think it is
pretty likely many Athyra 'adopted the new technology' so much that they
made changes to their home.