Dragaera

Paths of the Dead

Dennis Higbee den at monger.net
Thu Dec 5 09:35:09 PST 2002

On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Joshua Kronengold wrote:

> Dennis Higbee writes:
> >On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Joshua Kronengold wrote:

> >> Mind, given the source, the rarity of Lavodes in Vlad's time (though
> >> Sethra the Younger is a Lavode too, isn't she?  I -think- the
> >> indications we've been given indicate that Sethra the Younger is the
> >> equivalent of "Sethra Lavode, jr"), I don't think she's going to
> >> survive Vicomte de Adralanka.
>
> >If Sethra the Younger was ever a Lavode, I doubt she is after
> >_Yendi._
>
> I don't see why not -- she isn't disinvited to Castle Black -- she's
> simply played a game and lost it.

I got the impression she did more than "play a game and lose it."  She's
barred from ever being named Warlord or Dragon Heir, which is pretty
significant.  I also got the impression that Sethra was pretty angry with
her, which might also preclude her remaining a Lavode, regardless of how
Morrolan feels about her.

> >I have my doubts about whether she was ever a Lavode.  Based on what
> >Paarfi said, StY is studying to take Sethra's place as Enchantress,
>
> Yes.

Paarfi, of course, may be full of it. :)

> >but it is unclear to me that the Enchantress and the head of the
> >Lavodes are always the same person and, even if they are, that
> >doesn't mean that StY necessarily served as a Lavode even though she
> >might one day lead them.
>
> It does depend.  But given that the only other person we've seen
> Sethra teach was a Lavode, it's entirely possible that StY is.

I thought Zerika became Empress, not a Lavode.  Or did I miss that?

-Dennis