Dragaera

Authors and their produce

Ruhlen, Rachel Louise (UMC-Student) RuhlenR at missouri.edu
Fri Dec 6 15:15:48 PST 2002

Hrm. I think it's enough I was able to underrstand the above, without
trying to talk in it. I can write scientific papers which is nearly the
same thing. (Nearly, in the sense that Paarfi uses it.) Speaking of
which, I wondered if the publication of a book is similar to the
publication of a scientific paper. It all begins with the experiment.
After much labor, usually involving tearing one's hair out (literally in
the case of a fellow student of mine who has a habit of twisting her
hair when she's worried, which actually leaves a bald spot), and
shedding tears and blood (as the mice bite you), one finally gets some
exciting data. It is exciting not only in its own right, as it confirms
something previously not known or only suspected, it is all the more
exciting because after months, or even years, of frustrating ambiguous
results and that evil stuff "method development", it is the first (but
hopefully not the last) actual data. All that remains is to write it up
and publish it, right? Wrong. Usually it can't be written up until you
are sure of the results, which means you have to repeat it, and if you
want it published in a *good* journal you also have to repeat it in
different ways, so as to confirm that the finding is not an artifact. I
imagine this is analogous to the revising & polishing of a novel. Then
you can actually write it. Not all the excitement is lost because at any
point after the initial data, you can begin presenting your data at
meetings, in the form of posters or short seminars. Now I have something
written and am waiting on just one tiny last bit of data to be collected
before I can submit the paper. Hopefully the tiny last bit of data will
be what we have every reason to expect it to be, and I won't have to
actually rewrite half the paper, but can slip it in where it belongs.
Then we can submit the paper, it will hopefully be accepted although not
likely without revisions, and after months sending it in, revising it,
sending it around to all the co-authors for approval, revising it, etc,
it will finally be published. This, by the way, is data I mostly
collected 3 years ago (except for that one bit I'm waiting on).
Oh. That sounds like a rant. Well, I feel better!
Rachel