Dragaera

Paths of the Dead *spoilers*

Sat Dec 7 21:02:21 PST 2002

Lots and lots of spoilers of course, so if you haven’t yet read PoD do
yourself a favor and find something else to read... or better yet get off
the damn internet and go and read PoD...

<space>

Okay, I’ve been drinking tequila and listening to Velvet Underground since
half-past-noon so I will try to make this as lucid as possible... I’ve also
decided to reply to everyone that I feel inclined to reply to, that replied
to my posting, in one big post instead of individually because it just seems
more fun this way...

>I wrote:
>I am feeling inclined to go back and read TPG and FYA again because >now I
>realize how much I forgot of them :\ ...
>
>emmm, unless I am forgetting something  here, which is probable considering
>I usually have a pretty shotty memory]

hehehehe, I can’t believe I wrote this, okay, here’s the thing I tend have
an exceptional memory when I’m emmm, ahhh, heh, emmmm,
hehehehehehehe...especially for trivial stuff
<blushing out of embarrassment as she reflects on *some* past occasions when
this has done her more bad than good and more good than bad>

“Shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather...” hahahahahaha, I am having way too
much fun right now.

>>I wrote:
>>Will Morrolan ever reach his ancestral homelands?
>Jag wrote:
>This is rethorical, right?

hehehehehehehe...
Emm, no, I was being completely serious, I want to know... I mean I honestly
and truly believe he is going to nomadically travel through the East and
eventually he will reach the Dragaerean Empire where thereafter he will
realize that he is a Dragonlord and what it means to be one. But, not
enjoying or believe in the lifestyle or honor of a Dragonlord, he will
oppose everything they have to offer and everything of the e’Drien line. I
think he will then make the decision that once a year on Farmday in the
third week of the Sixteenth month he will teleport into the homes of young
rich Dragonlord children and leave a whole dead kentha on the largest table
of the families smallest hall, where after he will retire to his library,
which he will never leave (some things never change) set in a cave in the
Kanefthali Mountains to await another year for Farmday to come again...

Of course it’s rhetorical silly =)  But I want to know how, or rather how he
takes it over and I want to read the scene when he asks Sethra for a
tribute, I think that will be funny to read.

>>Will Sethra be forced to fight the Jenoine at Dzur Mountain?
>At one point or another, almost certainly.

Yeah, I think so too... there’s too much of a set-up here, and I also wonder
if it’s what she is speaking about in Orca when she talks about having the
task forces to aid her.

>>What part will Khaavren play in the fight against the Jenoine if any?
>>In the reconstruction of the Empire?
>Probably more in the reconstruction than fight against the Jenoine

Yeah I thought the same thing, but just thought I’d pose the question since
it was something I pondered.

>>Will the Empire be rebuilt as strong as it was?
>Seems pretty strong in Vlad’s days.

I know, hehehe, I was being asinine and this was rhetorical again... ;)

>>How does Adrilankha become the capital of the Empire? Do Kaahvren and
>They don’t have to give up their lands to let Adrilankha be the >capital.
>The would just have no control of the Imperial parts of the >city, such as
>the palace.
>
>If you remember Redface in PG, there were two manors right next to >each
>other. One was for Redface, and the other was for the holding >size one
>lower that the Redface Manor happened to be located in.

“Dammit Kitty” (I have obviously watched way too many episodes of South
Park, but this line work so well when my kitties or for that matter when I
do stupid things) Yes, now I remember, you are right, me and my silly mind
and tendency to write things before thinking them through throughly...
hahahaha, thank you!

>Somehow, I don’t think Morrolan would completely lie about being to >the
>Paths before.

Nor do I, and that’s where I was left confused. I wonder if...

>Paarfi didn’t realize it, so pretended that Morrolan just passed them >by.

may be right. It is interesting though, isn’t it?

>>I wrote:
>>Who is the other living Phoenix?
>Ken Padgett wrote:
>I wonder if Allistair and Illista had been exiled far enough away from
> >Adron’s Disaster to still be among the living. Illista had ambitions >in
>FHYA, so that should throw some good wrinkles if she is the exile.

Yeah, I originally thought of that but then I started to reflect and my
reflection led to wondering, teehehe, why the gods wouldn’t have known about
Illista still living... but now that I think about it in PoD Verra say’s
something to the effect of “no you wouldn’t know about them, I’m in charge
of knowing about the Phoenix’s so I know. In fact, I’m not surprised that
you gods know nothing, in fact I’m surprised that any of you know anything
about anything a’tall” so maybe no one but Verra would know...

>Tucker wrote:
>It could possibly be Illista, as she “and her brother were exiled, and
> >believed to have lived out the remainder of their lives on an island >to
>the west(PG).” You know, there are people from Elde Island >mentioned in
>the cast list...to include “Tresh, an exile” and “Nywak, >her servant.”
>Yeah, I think I’ll go with that for now.

Ew, ew, ew, cool! I didn’t even notice that! That’s so cool, could you
imagine how that could be, what problems it could present, that is so cool!

Steven, “you are so cool”! – (reference emmm, “True Romance?”– Yeah I think
that’s the right Quinten Terrintino movie with that line)

>>Rachel Louise Ruthlen wrote:
>>Where did you get that he helps rescue her from the Paths of the Dead?
>Iain E. Davis wrote:
>I suspect he’s referring to this passage in Taltos:
>”I’m certain. I was at the top of the falls with Zerika, holding off >some
>local brigands while she made her descent. If I would have used >sorcery, I
>would have.”

"he's"? me=<looks at herself from top to bottom... hummm, “he” hummmm,
hahaha, not even if I tried...okay maybe if I tried, but it would have to be
a pretty hard attempt, some tape, cut my hair, grow a few inches, rough up
my skin, sit in the sun awhile, put on some weight, lower my voice four or
so octaves... yeah that might work...hummm  maybe an interesting experiment
for when I go to take the Bar exam in a few years, wonder if it would change
the results, hahahahaha>

I think “rescues” her was a bad choice of words of my part...you know, I had
completely forgot of this passage, good catch! If I had thought of it I
would have more asked the question if this was a crack in the story or if
Morrolan was there with Piro, Krytraan, Tzendra, et al., and we just didn’t
know about it... I was more referring to this one:

Morrolan to Aliera: “Zerika, of the House of Phoenix, retrieved the Orb,
which somehow landed here, in the Paths of the Dead. She was allowed to
return with it. I helped her,”

Wish I had thought of the paragraph you thought of... Cool!

>>I wrote:
>>What will Aerich’s role play, will he make up his mind between what >>he
>>believes is right or wrong?
>Jag wrote:
>Must have missed something. I didn’t realize he was confused on that
> >point.

Ummmm, no, I missed something, or rather read something wrong. I just
re-read that and even in my haze I see I understood it wrong... you are
right.. hehehe, serves me right for reading the book so quickly! But dammit,
as someone else said in some earlier posting, these books are like heroine!!
Okay, maybe a good glass of tea made of Datura, Elderberry and
Nightshade...or a few shots of Tequila or Cognac

>Jag wrote:
>there’s an interesting question I’ve always had. How does the Orb know >who
>is a citizen of the empire? Will all of the old citizen’s >immediately get
>access to the Orb? Or will that only happen once they >given their
>allegiance to Zerika?

>Gametech wrote:
>That is a good question...no doubt Sethra has a connection because she >is
>aware to try to use it...Maybe it also knows based on your >bloodline like
>all Dragaeran’s get it by default and there is >a ‘banned’ list and a
>‘Jhereg list’. The orb after all is aware of at >least enough to do certain
>things on it’s own.

Yeah, I also think Sethra probably has an automatic connection to it too. I
think she would need it in the fight against the Jenoine. I also question if
all the old citizen’s immediately get access to the orb or if it will only
happen once they give allegiance to Zerika, but at the same time I think it
has more to do with Dragaeran bloodline. It seems the author likes to write
about blood lines a lot, and I seem to remember reading somewhere in the
Vlad books (though where I cannot tell you, I am just going from memory on
this one) that all Dragaerans have access to the orb, and his was a granted
access. Maybe it’s where he is talking about when he was entered into the
Jhereg? Maybe not though, and then again maybe my minds just playing tricks
on me...it’s most likely I am just having a false memory, because in Athyra
it seemed to me the Teckla had little if any access to the Orb, and those
that possibly did, like maybe Master Wag, didn’t really know how to use it.
They seemed more helpless than the most simple minded Teckla in South
Adrilankha...so, maybe it has something to do with *knowing* you have a
connection and, knowing how to use it(?) I would imagine most Dragaereans
(and Easterns with access–-as few and far between as they may be–-for that
matter) wouldn’t have this after Adrons disaster...humph, maybe not though
it will be interesting to see how Steven resolved this...

>Iaian E. Davis wrote:
>
>Another method, there may be a "ritual" that imprints new "nobility" >or, a
>ritual that adds your DNA-sequence to the orb's list of >authorized users
>(which would make it easy for descendants to keep the >access their
>ancestors had. :)

Oh! I like this idea! That would be way cool... and we sort of know it could
be done because of when Morrolan sends his guard to Vlad and she has Vlad
leave his thumb-print on the stone... I thought this was sort of like when
UPS has you sign for something...but imagine if it were one big,
supermagical, superpowerful, superduper instrument with DNA storage
capabilities... a Supercomputer!!! owned and operated by the government,
hehehehehehe, on second though ahhhhhhhh *eep* <shiver> maybe a little too
Orwellian... even if he was a political genius.

***

Okay, got to go Velvet Underground just ended and someone left a Rod Stewart
CD in my music-box and if it came between listening to Rod Stewart or being
eaten by giant jhereg, I think I would go for the jhereg... this is as close
to torture as I get...type to you all later hahahahahahahahahaha

~Holly~