Dragaera

Taltos Spoilers (was: Not really POTD, but has spoilers)

Mon Dec 9 16:15:14 PST 2002

On Mon, 2002-12-09 at 17:03, Greg Rapawy wrote:
> --- Jag <agrajag at dragaera.net> wrote:
> [...]
> > I never thought of Devera as time traveling.
> > Instead I thought of it more as Verra knows she is
> > going to exist, so has already arranged for Devera's
>
> > soul to take the form of Devera, and is using Devera
>
> > as a minion until she's concieved (or born,
> > depending on how they work that).
> >
> > Is there any evidence to say if my theory or the
> > time travel theory is more accurate?
>
> I would say two things:
>
> (1) Your theory doesn't explain why Devera already
> knows people who haven't met her yet.  (Mommy, and
> Uncle Vlad, and Uncle 'Rollan, for example.)

Either Verra told her, or due to the nature of unborn souls, she already
knows some of what is to come in her life.

> (2) I think your theory runs up against Occam's Razor
> in that it requires us to assume things about
> Dragaeran reincarnation and ensoulment (i.e., that
> Verra *can* do what you describe)

Verra is one of the Lords of Judgement.  The Lords of Judgement control
who gets reincarnated into the next life.  I'd be surprised if she
couldn't do it, considering what the Lords of Judgement do in regards to
dead souls, and with what we saw her do with Aliera.

> not yet known from
> the sources.  Also, if you modify your theory to
> respond to my first point (by postulating, for
> example, that Verra has instructed Devera about the
> people she will one day come to know), I think the
> complexity problem becomes acute.

complexity problem? Not quite following.

Jag