Dragaera

What/Who Devera knows

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Mon Dec 9 16:43:13 PST 2002

On Mon, 9 Dec 2002, Casey Rousseau wrote:

>There's an old, old story (from Plato?) that souls waiting to be
>incarnated know everything there is to know in heaven and on earth,
>but that just before they are born, an angel presses a hot coal to
>their lips, sealing in the knowledge and preventing them from sharing
>it.

Sounds like a garbled version of a story from the Talmud (Niddah 30b):

   http://www.realdimensions.co.uk/d_hush.htm
   /
   Just before a baby is born it has a smooth upper lip without any
   indentation and then an angel enters the environment of the womb
   and shows the baby everything there is to know and learn on Earth.
   Then at the moment of birth, the angel appears to only the baby and
   the angel touches the infant's upper lip creating an indentation in
   the smooth unspoilt flesh. "Hush, don't tell what you know" the
   Angel says and the child forgets everything.
   /

The angel was later construed to be Gabriel:

   http://www.uja.org/content_display.html?ArticleID=7630
   /
   In the months before a Jewish child is born, it is visited in the
   womb by the Angel Gabriel. There, in the warmth and silence of the
   mother's body, the angel teaches the baby all of Jewish learning --
   the Torah, the rituals, the holidays, the deepest truths of Jewish
   wisdom. The baby absorbs it all, just as it takes nourishment from
   its mother. But suddenly, as the baby is about to be thrust into
   the world to eat and breathe on its own, the angel presents it with
   a similar intellectual challenge. Right before birth, Gabriel
   strikes the child on the upper lip, and all the teachings are
   instantly forgotten."
   /

And have you ever seen "The Prophecy"? :-) - the webpage below has
a sound clip with Christopher Walken's delivery:

   http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Shuttle/6962/prophecy.htm

                          Gabriel:

   You know how you got that dent in your top lip?
   Way back .. before you were born .. I told you a secret.
   Then I put my finger there .. and I said "Shhhhh".

Oh, wait - the idea *is* in Plato (and since the Talmudic scholars
were influenced by other schools of thought, perhaps it originates
>from there rather than rising independantly). I think the angel part
is more specifically from Jewish lore (did Plato posit the existence
of angels?).

   http://www.jewishencyclopedia.com/view.jsp?artid=985&letter=S

   The Platonic theory that study is only recollection, because the
   soul knew everything before entering the world, is expressed in a
   hyperbolic fashion in the Talmud, where it is said that a light
   burns on the head of the embryo by means of which it sees from one
   end of the world to the other, but that at the moment of its
   appearance on earth an angel strikes it on the mouth, and
   everything is forgotten (Niddah. 30b).

Incidentally, the bit about the coal reminds me of a different Jewish
legend, where Moses as a baby in Egypt took Pharaoh's crown.  Fearing
that this was an omen of usurpation, Pharoah's seers put Moses before
2 plates, one with gold and one with glowing coals (and if he chose
the gold, he'd be killed).  Moses reached for the gold, but an angel
intervened and directed his hand to the coals, which he then put in
his mouth and burned his tongue.