Dragaera

Artificial release dates and online publishing

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Tue Dec 10 11:35:12 PST 2002

Steve Simmons <scs at di.org> writes:

> Matthew Hunter writes:
>
> > While this is in fact a problem, it's not a serious one.  Sure,
> > everyone in the industry yells about it.  The RIAA and MPAA
> > complain loudly about piracy cannabalizing their sales and scheme
> > up new and interesting ways to try to prevent unauthorized
> > copying, while to date print media has continued in the long
> > tradition of ... no protections whatsoever.
>
> > Why?
>
> > Because the law is sufficient when the people wish to do the
> > right thing.
>
> What I'm about to say will look like I'm intending to offend Matthew,
> and I'm not.  Matthew, please accept my advance apologies for this,
> and know that it's not intended at you personally but at the sentiment
> quoted above.  You're not the first to say it, and you won't be the
> last.
>
> But it's dead wrong, and in fact, both naive about what people really
> do and ignorant of history.
>
> Historically, publishers have stolen at every opportunity.  Charles
> Dickens toured the US on his own nickel, because US publishers had taken
> his works and published them without him getting a dime.  This was
> legal in the US at the time, and the US took full advantage of it.  The
> situation did not change until US authors became popular overseas and
> started getting the same treatment from the Europeans.  At that point,
> the US signed on to the nascent international copyright laws and those
> whose works had been pirated could sue in the appropriate venue.

But, as you say, that was *legal* at the time.  This isn't a
counter-example to Matthew's claim; in fact it's an example of what he
says in action.

> The copyright laws worked because it was difficult to print and distribute
> books.  Only an established firm could afford it, and they were easy to
> track down and sue.
>
> Music piracy worked the same way until recently.  But now anybody can
> cut a CD, and it's rife.  Add on Napster and its descendents, and you
> have a huge subculture that's (IMHO) ripping off artists right and left.
> I quiz my son and his napsterizing peers, and not a one of them has ever
> made a serious attempt to pay an artist for tunes downloaded.  Yes, in
> most cases it's probably not possible -- but they've never even tried.

But Napster has been essentially shut down; and any centralized
pirating operation is likely to be in the future.  Only individual,
person-to-person, piracy is hard to stop, and it's also small-scale.

> Nope, the only thing that keeps current books from being pirated is the
> high cost of duplication.  Paper is expensive, scanners and character
> recognition are unreliable, and typing is too much work.  But once
> someone gets an electronic copy, it spreads far and wide.  To date,
> I've never seen one distributed with even a hint of how to pay the author.

Two hours to OCR and check Yendi.  That's not theory, that's from
looking at my watch when I started and when I finished.  And my
scanner is fairly slow.  (Yendi is also a fairly short book by today's
standards).  So it's a fairly low barrier.

And in fact there are a lot of pirated e-texts around.  They aren't
organized into large, well-indexed, repositories, however.  So you
can't easily go find them.  For some reason, places that try to be
such repositories get shut down.  I see no reason why this won't
continue to happen.

Meanwhile, Baen books is making money selling ebooks, and even giving
away ebooks (the Baen Free Library).

> As soon as books are available in electronic format, they're going to be
> traded with the same cavalier attitude as you see in MP3s.

So show me this happening with the Baen electronic books, then.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net