Dragaera

Artificial release dates and online publishing

David Dyer-Bennet dd-b at dd-b.net
Tue Dec 10 14:21:57 PST 2002

rone at ennui.org (definitely what) writes:

> Damien Sullivan writes:
>   On Tue, Dec 10, 2002 at 09:47:46AM -0800, definitely what wrote:
>   > Joshua Kronengold writes:
>   >   Theres a -reason- that most piracy is done by teens who have a limited
>   >   income, and largely can't afford what they are "stealing".
>   > Actually, most piracy is done abroad, where law enforcement is spotty.
>   And where people largely can't afford much of what they are "stealing".
>
> I'm not sure what that has to do with it.

If they can't afford it, then it isn't a lost sale for the legitemate
publisher.  Not arguing the ethics here, it's clearly "wrong" to me.
But counting every pirated copy as a full-price retail sale in stating
the losses from piracy is absurd.
--
David Dyer-Bennet, dd-b at dd-b.net  /  http://www.dd-b.net/dd-b/
 John Dyer-Bennet 1915-2002 Memorial Site http://john.dyer-bennet.net