Dragaera

Devera spoiler

Tue Dec 10 16:00:28 PST 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 19:57, K Kuhn wrote:
> Jag wrote:
>
> > > I think it would have been cooler if she (Devera) were
> > > Mario's daughter...  It's been shown that crossbreeds
> > > are possible, and since Mario and Aliera were
> > > obviously attracted to one another....
> > >

> > We've already seen a crossbread, Grita, before, so we know its
> > possible.  Plus, the Jhereg is just a mismatch of all the noble Houses,
> > so technically they're all crossbreeds.
> >

> If Verra was a sortof 'lab assistant' to the Jenoine, whom we know
> played around with Dragaeran genetics, is it possible that 'Verra's
> daughter' simply means that Verra took a genetic sample from Adron, and
> then did a bit of genetic engineering to 'improve' the abilities of
> Kieron's line, before presenting the resulting experiment to Adron?  If
> Verra wanted to get a few non-Dragon genes into the Kieron line without
> having the Dragons immediately disown the child, perhaps its necessary
> to be the 'mother' of record, since god-Dragon crossbreeds don't have
> the same social ostracism as other crossbreeds do.  And if Verra did
> that, there's no reason she couldn't have done the same with an
> Aliera/Kieron cross later, in which case maybe it doesn't matter whether
> Aliera looked pregnant or not at such and such a time, or whether Kieron
> would want to get it on with a soulless descendent?

Interesting theory.  However, if it was true, it wouldn't have been so
easy for Aliera to leave the Paths of the Dead in Taltos.  The only
reason she was able to walk out is because she has the blood of a
Goddess, Verra, her mother, in her.

I really don't get this bit about Kieron getting it on with a soulles
descendent.  With a very few exceptions (Zerika, Morrolan, Aliera, Vlad,
Gods) anyone who is in the Paths is really nothing more than a soul.
Her soulless body wouldn't have been in the Paths, so there's no way
Kieron would be able to get it on with Aliera's soulless body.

Jag