Dragaera

POTD, questions...

Tue Dec 10 17:08:21 PST 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-10 at 19:52, Erik Dahl wrote:
> I just finished /The Paths of the Dead/, and I'm catching up on all of the
> posts with spoilers. :)
>
> Jot Powers (>) wrote:
>
> > SPOILER Space....

> > Is the similarity between the names of Orlan and Loraan coincidental?
> > It seems that they are really close, and both were involved in the
> > staff with Aliera's soul.  However, Orlaan (aka Grita) is supposedly
> > a half breed (Tsalmoth & Lyron?) whereas Loraan was an Athyra.
>
> Grita's parents were, if my memory serves me correctly, Tsalmoth and Dzur. Her
> father Greycat/Garland, obviously, was the Tsalmoth. For her mother, it's not
> so clear. Since I first read /FHYA/, I've assumed she was Sennya, the Dzur
> Heir, since Greycat alludes to having some control over her, that she will do
> as he says. This is muddled a little by Paarfi twice stating that Ibronka is
> Sennya's only child, but he may mean she is her only legitimate child, or that
> she believes Grita is dead.

I did, and still think her mother is Sennya.  I also seem to remember
something about Paarfi stating Ibronka is Sennya's only child.  However,
at the time I took it to mean the only child she recognized, as if she
had completely disowned Grita.  I just skimmed Ibronka's chapter in PotD
and can't seem to find any mention of Ibronka being Sennya's only child,
other than saying that Ibronka was the only thing Sennya lived for
anymore.

Jag

> I must admit, I was quite intrigued by Orlaan searching for a soul that she
> intended to put in a staff, and was struck by the similarity of the names. When
> I first read the passage, I thought she was Sethra in disguise! So why would
> Grita care about Aliera so much that she would trace her from Dragaera City?

I don't think its a matter of tracing just Aliera.  Orlaan said that she
realized there was such a lost soul once she got access to sorcery
again, and thus immediately set out for it.  I think she would have gone
after the soul, no matter whose it was.

However, one interesting thing is that it was noted that the soul was
along a straight line from the site of Adron's Disaster to Dzur
Mountain.  It's almost hinting that Sethra was trying to get Aliera to
Dzur Mountain instead of the Paths.  Or maybe it just got dragged in the
direction of Dzur Mountain since Sethra was using the power of Dzur
Mountain to do the teleport.

Jag