Dragaera

Artificial release dates and online publishing

Mon Dec 16 14:14:35 PST 2002

J.Jasper wrote:

> Fides wrote:

>>Why? I have read some very good fan fic that wouldn't have been half as
>>effective if had been totally original and some that would have been
>>impossible if they had been original. If fan fic writers wanted to write
>>something totally original they would (and some do that as well) but
>>that isn't what they are trying to do when they write fic.
>

>>From a legal standpoint, fanfic is a copyright violation. It endangers
> an author's right to work within their own creation.

How?

   Propagating fanfic
> in public without permission is an insult, not praise.

By public I am assuming you mean on the internet or at conventions.

> Doing so with permission is fine.  Some TV show copyright owners
> intentionally turn a blind eye towards fanfic because they like the fans
> who write it and are unconcerned about having their rights violated.  As
> a personal choice, that's OK, but if you intend to publicly release
> fanfic, ask the author first.

Which author? Or do you mean the producer? Or the director? Or the actor
  who protrays the character? Or the Executives? Or the Network? Or all
of them?

  If they say no, respect their wishes.

Which doesn't make it a tragedy. It just makes it illegal (unless of
course it is a parady or otherwise covered by fair use) and, in your
opinion, an insult.

Fides