Dragaera

TRiH (was: Brust books you didn't like)

FelixEisen at aol.com FelixEisen at aol.com
Fri Dec 20 21:30:05 PST 2002

Spoilers for TRiH, if you haven't read it.  If you haven't, though, go read
it.  Trust me just this once.

>  >  TRiH basically says Yahweh is not
>  >  omnipotent, not the Creator, and a lying deluded tyrant.
>  >  Damien
>  Ah, then.  I *didn't* misjudge the book.
>  Mia

If I may interject ...

Yes, actually, I'm afraid you did.  I honestly think that you both misjudged
it.

If I may quote from the Right Honorable and Sorely Missed Roger Zelazny, who
says two words at the front of the book:

"I read the beginning to see what he was doing. ... When I realized where he
was going with this story, my first reaction was, "He isn't going to be able
to pull this one off."  Not without getting trite, or cute, or moralistic --
or failing into any number of the many pitfalls I foresaw with regard to this
material.  I was wrong.  He not only avoided them all, he told a
fantastically engaging story with consummate grace and genuine artistry.  I
had not seen anything really new done with this subject since Anatole
France's _Revolt_of_the_Angels_, with the possible exception of Taylor
Caldwell's _Dialogues_with_the_Devil_.  And frankly, Brust's book is a more
ambitious and successful work than _Dialogues_."

I personally have not read France's _Revolt_of_the_Angels_, but I -have- read
Caldwell's _Dialogues_.  This one I read sort of on the sly over a period of
several weeks, stealing pages and paragraphs from where the book rested in
the 'to be donated' box in my parents' garage.  To be brief, I was
fascinated, and I well and truly could understand exactly what Lucifer meant
by his entire Rebellion.  His was not a rebellion of war, it was an
ideological debate -- 'You are wrong, and I shall demonstrate why, thus.'

In TRiH, the author explores the nature of the Rebellion along the lines of a
'What If?'  What if Yahweh was not utterly omniscient?  What if the
ideological debate was not over the pre-eminence of Man or whatever other
story one prefers?  What if -- and this is the most -important- 'what if' in
the entire book -- what if, at the beginning of all things, people had no
concept of -lying-??

This, truly, is one half of the very core of the book.  Abdiel lies.  Because
nobody else has even a smidgen of a REASON to think that anyone would NOT
tell the truth (witness all of the broken hearts in Lilith's wake), everyone
automatically falls for his lies.  Things are taken at face value.  Michael
defends Abdiel after Ariel's death, because he knows of no reason for Abdiel
to BE pursued, except for the reasons that Abdiel has fed him in regards to
Satan and Beelzebub.  Satan and Beelzebub are chasing him with death on their
minds; Abdiel screams for help.  It just -looks- bad, that's all.

The other half of the core of the book -- something which is revealed at the
very end -- is that both Satan and Yahweh are massively prideful individuals.
 Neither will back down, especially when Yeshuah points out that everyone
will laugh them out of Heaven if they admit to having been hornswoggled.
>From Yahweh's point of view, he didn't lie and, really, he didn't -- he
exaggerated massively, though, but this does not make him a 'lying, deluded
tyrant'; it just makes him the victim of massive flattery and caught in a
very bad position whence there is no escape.  From Satan's point of view, he
DID do everything on the up-and-up, and he wasn't going to back down one iota
>from that.

In truth, SKZB makes the single presumption that YHWH was not the Supreme
Being, just that he was the first.  Everything else follows from that, that
this really IS the beginning, that things are said and done that have never
been said and done before, that 'suspicion' and a lot of other ugly things
are nonexistant because they simply have -never-happened-.  To call this one
presumption 'snarky, conceited atheism' is to do the work and its author each
a vast disservice; it is a single literary presumption, sort of like
presuming that Lucifer and Michael exchange correspondance a la
_Dialogues_with_the_Devil_.

IMO, the thought or reaction that this is a deliberate slur upon the
Judeo-Christian-Muslim mindset is akin to the same thought or reaction of
choosing one's reading material on account of whether or not it plays up to
the religion of your preference.  I do not say that I too am not victim to
this; I become annoyed at any work that presents witches and witchcraft as
the infamous 'tools of the devil'.  I do, however, permit the author his
beliefs, and do not deride the book because of a literary mechanic --
presuming, of course, that I found the characters, plot, etc. otherwise
engaging.  If it's a thin-clad monogram against my religion, I usually laugh
myself silly.

If you have not read _To_Reign_In_Hell_, read it and make your own decision.
But certes, make your own decision, and let not others decide for you;
therein lies the inability to think for yourself, as well as a myriad of
other sorrowful events.

Think.

Felix, the Unforgiven
Knights Guardian and Marshal