Dragaera

The Plot is Discussed *spoilers for PotD*

Michelle Goepp jedijane at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 23 08:25:44 PST 2002

Subject:
In Which the Plot of "The Viscount of Adrilankha",
Much in the Manner of a Lady Who Has Dared to Sport a
Bold New Style, Is Discussed (which discussion
contains information that may spoil certain surprises
to the reader unfamiliar with the volume "Paths of the
Dead").

It is not our intent to bore the assumed reader (for,
in this mode of communication, by which we mean
electronic mail, or 'email', we can only hope that the
subject line which we have had the honor of appending
to this missive has intrigued as least one recipient
out of so large a distribution enough that he chooses
to peruse these words, rather than discarding them
unopened and unread) with trivialities, that is to say
matters which he pretends need no more though; we
instead hope to present a few words on a subject that
is at once of interest to both the author and the
reader.  Should the reader instead feel that
discussion on the topic treated in the subject line of
this missive can hold no intricacies for the agile
mind to glory upon for several moments, he is invited
to move on to other emails which have no doubt arrived
in his inbox that, we have been assured, discourse at
length on such meaningful topics as how the laws of a
certain country may be modified so as to best suit
both a mayfly and a tortoise, and which of a certain
author's works most or least entertained the
respondents' left eye (though, to be sure, we hope the
two topics are addressed in separate messages for we
are at a loss to discern who they may relate, one to
the other).

That having been said and now that we feel comfortable
that we have suitably directed the attention of the
reader toward the topic which he may find of most
interest at the moment, let us say a few words about
the Plot of the novel "The Viscount of Adrilankha", of
which we hold in our hands the first third, that
volume entitled "The Paths of the Dead".  Thus far in
the story that Mr. Brust has done himself the honor of
translating the action has been primarily driven by
the plot of, not surprisingly, the Enchantress of Dzur
Mountain, Sethra Lavode, the goal of which pretends to
be the restoration of the Empire whose destruction was
treated in "Five Hundred Years After".  We are so
informed in nearly these exact works by several
different principle players in the drama that unfurls
before us, and yet we wonder (for wondering, we have
often been told, is a sign of intelligence; we
therefore endeavor to partake of this pastime each
day) what prompted the actions of the Enchantress.
Hitherto the Interregnum seemed to be passing slowly:
if the Plagues had abated we are sure they will erupt
again; if certain warlords were rising we are sure
others were, at the same time, in the process of
falling.  The gods themselves pretended to be taken
aback at the "involvement" of Sethra Lavode (could it
be they were unaware that she had, in fact,
precipitated the events which they discussed?).  Was
it merely the age of the Phoenix Heir that the
Enchantress was waiting for her to attain?  Yet why
then would she involve the title character of the
novel, who is Piro, the Viscount of Adrilankha, and
who we are assured us a good deal younger than the
Phoenix Heir?  Perhaps there are events of which we
are unaware that prompted the Enchantress to action at
that particular moment in history.  If so, is it
likely we will learn what these pivotal events
happened to be now that the moment in which they no
doubt occurred has passed in this current history?  Or
is it a whim of the author to keep such information he
possesses on the subject a secret until such time as
it is most amusing to him to let is loose upon his
unsuspecting readership?

We therefore solicit the input of those readers who
pretend to have some conjecture or other offering on
the subject we have had the honor to bring forward
though, needless to say, such contributions need not
be written in the same style which we have presented
our words, in the interests of both file size and, we
regret to admit, readability.

Signed,
Michelle of Gateway-to-the-Bay
(Her crest, titles, and lineage block omitted,
confident in the fact that the reader has missed
nothing.)

=====
Michelle
"Brevity is the soul of wit."