Dragaera

Avoiding Jordan (Was: Re: POTD question...)

Fri Jan 24 06:16:11 PST 2003

>From: Kat <tsarren at alyra.org>
>I have heard the annoyance at the characters from just about everyone I
>know. The general consensus seems to be that we read Jordan for the
>complexity of the plot and the richness of the world, but not for the depth
>of the characters.

I don't know -- at least the female characters stopped sniffing so damned
much. [1]

-- Andrew Lias

[1] Jordan likes to write strong female characters.  Unfortunately, it took
him a long time to get past the point where his efforts to make them
"strong" simply made them overbearing, egotistical, male-bashing harridans
who had this utterly annoying habit of sniffing whenever they disagreed with
or were displeased with something.  For the first several books, it seems
like a convention of cocain addicts.