Dragaera

other authors? (was Re: POTD question...)

Fri Jan 24 11:05:52 PST 2003

>>No, I don't think so.  Personaly, I really like Zelazny, but
>>I also have to agree with my ex who said that Brust is, overall,
>>the better writer (taking into account plot, diction, character
>>development, style, etc.).
>>

>Really? I totally disagree. I think Zelazny is the better "writer" taking
>into account syntax, diction, grammar, word usage, illustration, sentence
>structure, etc. But, I think Brust the better "story-teller" (though
>Zelazny is good, I just don't think as good as Brust) taking into account
>plot, character development, thematic development, illusion, allegory,
>symbolism, and visualization. I think Brust also has better style and
>voice. Each are fun to read and analyze on their different merits.

I think that Brust and Zelazny are so comparable, in most of these
catagories, that it really is a matter of personal preference.

Where I think Zelazny does outshine Brust is in terms of sheer
imaginativeness and creativity of concept.  I say that with the
understanding that I think that Brust is one of the most creative and
imaginative authors that I have ever encountered.  I just think that, when
you take a look at the full bredth of his work, Zelazny was simply
incomparable when it came to dreaming up startlingly new and interesting
concepts again and again and again.  Even in his works that were nominally
similar to each other (Creatures of Light and Darkness vs. Lord of Light),
the execution and ideas that he implemented were brilliantly divergent and
fascinating.