Dragaera

Spoilers for OTHER authors

Rosemary Ighel righel at msn.com
Fri Jan 24 14:17:55 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Steven Brust" <skzb at dreamcafe.com>
To: <pddb at demesne.com>; "Rosemary Ighel" <righel at msn.com>
Cc: <dragaera at dragaera.info>; "Mia McDavid" <mia_mcdavid at attbi.com>
Sent: Friday, January 24, 2003 3:24 PM
Subject: Re: other authors? (was Re: POTD question...)

> At 02:24 PM 1/24/2003 -0600, pddb at demesne.com wrote:
> >SPOILERS FOR EMMA BULL'S FINDER, possibly spoilers if you are finicky
> >for WAR FOR THE OAKS:

> >On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 11:54:42AM -0600, Rosemary Ighel wrote:
> > > IMO, Emma killed Tick to no purpose.  It didn't move the story along,
it
> > > just made you feel bad.  At least in War for the Oaks, when she kills
> > one of
> > > the characters (sorry, don't know if you've read it or not) there's a
> > > reason.  Makes me mad that she took the easy way out, mostly because
> > she's a
> > > way better writer than that.
> >
> >Oh, I don't think that was the easy way out at all.  Killing Linn
> >-- Rico's partner -- would have been the easy way out.  That would
> >have kept a lot of the thematic structure in place, but it would
> >have lacked any teeth.
>
> Yes.  Exactly.  There are good deaths, and bad ones.  The bad ones always
> remind me of the westerns where the girl has to choose between the good
guy
> and the bad guy, and the bad guy gets killed at the end so no one actually
> has to deal with the emotional tangle.  Those are bad deaths.  Emma does
> good deaths.  In my extremely arrogant opinion.

Keeping Tick alive and maintaining the structure may indeed have been
difficult. I just felt very much like the victim of a called third strike.
As deaths go, it was a perfectly lovely one, it's just that I'd been there
and done that already, and I was hoping not to go there again, especially
with a character I had a whole Bordertown history with.  I just felt
horrible after I finished Finder.

R.