Dragaera

Favorite NON-fiction

Gaertk at aol.com Gaertk at aol.com
Mon Jan 27 13:14:27 PST 2003

In a message dated 1/27/2003 12:52:08 PM Eastern Standard
Time, Chris Olson - SunPS <Chrisf.Olson at Sun.COM> writes:

>> >_____ - _Lies My Teacher Told Me_
>>
>> This sort of thing exists?  When I read _Science of
>> Discworld_ (by Pratchett, Stewart, and Cohen), they
>> discussed how school texts are full of "lies-to-students"
>> and why, but didn't have many examples or the true
>> explanations.
>
> Heh.  Yes, it does exist.  It's about history,
> mostly, and covers the things that your teachers
> never told you, and what they got wrong, and the
> lies they flat-out told you.

Eh, I'll pass then... there's nothing unusual in claiming
history texts are biased, etc....

What I want is a book explosing all the lies in math and
science texts.  I was really, really annoyed when I learned
the truth about pendulums....

--KG