Dragaera

Gender Distributions in SF & F

Wed Jan 29 08:45:12 PST 2003

The recent discussions about gender biases in the science has led me to
wonder about a similar question regarding the readership of science fiction
and fantasy.

>From what surveys I've read, the readership of science fiction is
overwhelmingly male, whereas fantasy works have a much larger female
following.  So the question is, why.

The obvious answer (i.e., the one that tends to get advanced most often) is
that science fiction is written by men and that it deals with masculine
themes.

I think that the obvious answer is wrong.  First of all, fantasy and science
fiction have *both* had a historical bias towards male-dominated themes.
The Golden Age works of SF were no more androcentric than Tolkiens golf club
Fellowship or the sinew and sword works of Howard (Red Sonja *not*
withstanding).

More importantly, science fiction has had, nearly from its inception,
important female contributors, starting with C.L. Moore and going forward.
Likewise, science fiction was one of the first genres to agressively embrace
progressive themes (not only from female authors, like Sheldon and LeGuinn,
but in such works as Sturgeon's _Venus Plus X_).  There is even a vital
sub-genre of feminist science fiction (Tepper's work springs to mind).  Even
science fiction cinema (which tends to live down to the stereotypes of the
genre much more than the literature does) has its share of female role
models (e.g., Lt. Ripley from Aliens).

So... why?  Why do women, especially young women, tend to avoid science
fiction while embracing fantasy?

I'm curious to hear everyone's.