Dragaera

Corwin?

Reen Brust reen at mpls.cx
Tue Feb 4 23:51:10 PST 2003

----- Original Message -----
From: "Damien Sullivan" <phoenix at ugcs.caltech.edu>
To: <dragaera at dragaera.info>
Sent: Saturday, February 01, 2003 11:08 AM
Subject: Re: Corwin?

> On Fri, Jan 24, 2003 at 01:10:57PM -0800, Steven Brust wrote:
> > At 10:28 AM 1/24/2003 -0500, Chris Turkel wrote:
> > >This might be the most far fetched question of the year. is Corwin
Brust
> > >named after the Corwin of Amber?
> >
> > Kinda sorta.
> >
> > The books gave us the idea, but, mostly, we thought it was a really cool
> > name.  Gaelic.  Means raven.
>
> And what about your daughter? :)
>
> -xx- Damien X-)

Which one?  Aliera?  Actually, Aliera's lifelong friend, Amber Tatge was
born just a few weeks before she was.  By gracious gift of Roger Zelazny (he
and Steven were Guests together at Ad Astra) my home is called the Courts of
Chaos.  When the girls were small, the kids often traveled as a gang between
homes.   So, we often found that we had nine princes, including Amber,  in
residence.  (Generic he, of course.)

But no,  while I believe that both Steven and I first encountered the name
there, we were both very taken with it just for the sound and feel.  In
1980, at Westercon, we waited at the end of a reading and introduced Corwin,
then five, and ourselves to Roger for the first time.  After shaking hands
with Steven and me, he bent deeply from the waist and shook hands with
Corwin too, telling him that he liked his name.  A fine man and a stellar
writer.  (But never a Minicon Guest, d*mn fannish politics.)

Reen

Reen