Dragaera

Dragaeran memory

Tue Feb 11 09:35:54 PST 2003

On Tue, Feb 11, 2003 at 12:31:23PM -0500, Casey Rousseau wrote:

> Speaking of which, has anyone else come across an assertion that the art of
> reading silently (as opposed to at least subvocalizing the text as it is
> being read) is a recent invention (not earlier than sometime in the High
> Middle Ages or Renaissance)?

Yeah, I've seen that.  Not necessarily _that_ recent, but claims that someone
in the Middle Ages was considered extraordinary for reading silently.

butthenpunctuationandevenspacesbetweenwordshavealsobeensaidtoberecentinventions
soperhapsmostpeoplehavingtomovetheirlipsisnotareflectionontheirintelligence
becausehowwellareyoureadingthissnootymodernperson

-xx- Damien X-)