Dragaera

Literary Disappointments (was: The LKH thing)

David Rodemaker dar at horusinc.com
Mon Feb 17 06:13:56 PST 2003

> > *Ms.* Constantine, IIRC, sort of tends to agree with you. Her website
> > is
> > somewhere around on the web, and that trilogy was, again IIRC, her
> > first
> > published work (and shows it). Very popular with the goth crowd
> > evidently,
> > otherwise an interesting read for the 'what-the-hell?' factor, neat
> > *idea's*, 'different' blend of new-age magic/religion and pretty-boi
> > sexuality, sort of fun spin at the end if you can last that long
> > <shrug>.
> > Her later stuff, like the Grigori Trilogy, is much better.
> > One of those series of books to keep on the shelf to throw at people
> > when they ask for something 'Different. No I mean *really* different.'
> > <g>
> I read that trilogy and thought, "What a good idea. Too bad you ruined
> it." I feel the same way about the Pern books: There are some good
> ideas there but she ruins them. My aunt copy edited Acorna's World and
> thought her style was stiff.

Ergh. Looking at my post and your response. Which one is 'she ruined it?' I
don't know if I would say that either is ruined exactly, though I dislike
the ending of the Grigori trilogy more decent reading up until the very end
and then I was sort of like, 'that's it?' The Wreathu trilogy is the
'different/really different' series I was speaking of, it's ending was at
least somewhat interesting and no less surreal than the rest of the series.

Mind you, I have re-read the Grigori trilogy a couple of times, I *think*
I've re-read the Wreathu trilogy, but a very long time ago.

I guess she's writing a sequel trilogy to the Wreathu books, overlapping in
time, but from different POV's or something. *That* might be interesting
merely to see the difference in writing style and attitude from then to now.

<SNIP WOT>
> I am still chugging through Book Ten. I have invested so much time in
> the series so far that I want to see if there is a pay off at the end.

That's why I'm skimming. <g>

David