Dragaera

Literary Disappointments (was: The LKH thing)

Gomi no Sensei gomi at speakeasy.net
Mon Feb 17 13:17:15 PST 2003

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003 13:05:49 -0800, Richard Malena <rmalena at softhome.net>
wrote:

>> E.g., Terry Goodkind.

[rant elided]

> We start with "Wizard's First Rule," and this is actually a good book.

Whoa, whoa. WFR sucked donkey balls. It was Boy Hero With a Secret Past and
Legacy of Secret Power, right off the back of the cereal box.

OTOH, Tad Williams could have been a decent author at some point. Memory,
Sorrow, and Thorn is a solid duology spread out over three books. Given
that after its success he's probably less subject to editing than before, I
have little interest in plowing through the verbal underbrush for
'Otherland'.

In fact, a lot of the junky fantasy on the shelves today can be laid at
editorial feet, or the absence thereof.

paul e.