Dragaera

Good books generally (was: Literary Disappointments)

Mon Feb 17 15:47:54 PST 2003

Philip said:

SKZB should be happy in his readership, judging from this list.
I was just thinking that perhaps this sort of close analysis is
part of the appeal of fundamentalist religious thought - `in the
book of Job it says such-and-such' - `but in Revelations we learn'...

I stay as far away from most fundamentalists as I can, but I would think
just the opposite.  Close textual analysis may indicate contradictions
and inconsistencies, and the idea that there would be contradictions and
inconsistencies is anathema to people who believe that God dictated the
Bible and that its every word is law.

Cheers!

Mia