Dragaera

SPOILER for _Dragon_...what's up with Vlad, again?

Mon Feb 17 15:45:08 PST 2003

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Mark A Mandel wrote:

> 	[names deleted]
>
> #>>>>>I think I recall in Taltos that Morrolan can see a lot better than
> #>>>>>Vlad.
> #>
> #>>>> Do you always generalize from a sample of one?
> #>
> #>>>This is (one hopes intentionally) very funny.
> #>
> #>> It is also a very good example of a snarky rhetorical question.  I
> #>> would have been more courteous, but a response that paraphrased a line
> #>> from _Issola_ was just too good an opportunity to miss, as well as
> #>> being appropriate.
> #>
> #>That's what single quotation marks are for.
> #
> #Only if it's an exact quote, which this wasn't.  Or is that a rule of
> #style that I am unfamiliar with?
>
> My friends and comrades, this is why emoticons are used. In cyberspace,
> no one can hear your tone of voice or read your facial expression or
> body language, whether you're saying something or reacting (with a wince
> or a grin) to something someone else has said. May I ask all present to
> return their weapons to their sheaths and join me in a glass of Piarran
> Mist?

A participant in the above exchange, I don't think there was any weaponry
involved - the first response seemed a bit rude, but in a later reply
(which you've excised) the writer explained why he chose that manner.
I think emoticons are evil and encourage bad writing.  They're even
worse than constructions like `"Time to go," he smiled.'

- Philip