Dragaera

comments, question about _Phoenix_

David Silberstein davids at kithrup.com
Tue Feb 25 17:08:43 PST 2003

On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Mark A Mandel wrote:

>On Tue, 25 Feb 2003, Philip Hart wrote:
>
>#During that window visit in _P_, Veera reveals (in a conversation in
>#which she is bizarrely deferential to Vlad, or rather he presents
>#her that way)
>
>I think she's his mother.

I find that exceedingly unlikely, but some recent musings along those
lines are that perhaps Verra had a deliberate hand in bringing about
Vlad's birth (which may perhaps amount to the same thing).

For example, Arra is a Priestess of Verra and a witch.  Assuming Arra
is still alive, Verra might have instructed her (or if she isn't
alive, a different Easterner Priestess of Verra) to marry this one
Easterner who is the son of a witch, and conceive a son.

In addition, the gods are in charge of Dragaeran souls.  Perhaps Verra
said to Dolivar's soul "You have caused us *so* much tsuris, but
you're pretty damn clever, so I'm going to reincarnate you into an
Easterner, and see how you do for 60 or 70 years.  If I find your
performance acceptable, perhaps I'll let you reincarnate into
Dragaeran form when your Eastern body dies."

And perhaps Verra tipped a word to Sethra to keep an eye out for
*this* particular Easterner.  After all, how likely was it that Sethra
met, and scanned the soul of, this one person reincarnated from her
days of the founding of the Empire?  Although it also occurs to me
that Sethra may have super-secret soul-recognition powers - she knows
who Devera is on the battlefield of the Gods.

Hmm.  Anyways, it is amusing to speculate about.