Dragaera

[OT] Most Promising New Author?

Gaertk at aol.com Gaertk at aol.com
Thu Feb 27 17:43:11 PST 2003

The recent comments on Mieville got me thinking....
Which new author (first published in the last couple years)
do you think is most likely to become a great?

I'm really impressed by Jo Walton (I already mentioned she's
one of the three names I buy in hardcover).  Check your local
libraries for her King's Peace/King's Name duology (Arthurian
fantasy with a few twists).  Her most recent _Prize in the
Game_ isn't a bad starting point either (gives the backstory
of a few characters before they show up in the other books;
well, half the backstory: she's still writing _Breaking the
Ward_).  [That reminds me: I still haven't written my
discussion of the similarities between _Prize in the Game_
and _Paths of the Dead_.]

Jasper Fforde _The Eyre Affair_ and Garth Nix _Sabriel_,
_Lirael_, and _Abhorsen_ are quite good too (look for Nix in
Young Adult).  Not deep, but fun.

Better stop before I run out of punctuation...............

--KG