Dragaera

The Sun...

Michele Riccio mr1 at rcosta.com
Tue Mar 4 14:13:50 PST 2003

On 3 Mar 2003 at 16:35, Philip Hart wrote

> Hi, could someone post an appreciation of this book?  I read it
> without getting anything out of it (well, the fairy tale aspect was
> sort of interesting) and gave it to a friend who paints, figuring he
> might be able to enjoy it.  In particular the scene about politics in
> art annoyed me, and I was never much interested in the Monster.  Maybe
> I just need to be proselytized.
>
> - Philip

hmmm.  "The Sun, the Moon, and the Stars" is one of my all time
favorite books.

I like the story, I like the character of Greg and how he struggles
with what he wants to be and who he thinks he has to be.  I've never
thought of it as particularly interesting to painters.  I think it's more
about creativity in general, using painting as an example.

What were you hoping to get out of it?  Personally, when I read a
work of fiction I'm looking for a "good story".  If it shifts my
perspective so that I can look at things in a new way - that's a
bonus.

I don't know that preaching from the members of the list is going to
boost your enjoyment of the book.  I'm told "Scarlet Letter" is a
wonderful book.  Doesn't change my opinion of it.  I still loathe it.

Makes me appreciate living in a time and place where I can have
opinions.

Michele Riccio
mr1 at rcosta.com