Dragaera

Question about Devera

Wed Mar 5 16:47:50 PST 2003

On Wed, 5 Mar 2003, Steven Brust wrote:

> At 05:33 PM 3/5/2003 -0500, Gaertk at aol.com wrote:
> >
> >So what was the reason behind the stream-of-3-consciousnesses
> >bit in _Issola_?
>
> If you don't know, then they didn't work.

Couldn't it (they, whatever) have worked without his consciously knowing?

I thought the point was to evoke an experience which was fragmentary or
rather fragmented Vlad and was put together afterwards in that way since
our language isn't adapted to such experiences.  If that's what was
intended, it worked for me as writing, but I thought at the time that
the passage showed authorial (?) intervention.  Vlad is a sophisticated
storyteller (see _Taltos_ or _Dragon_ for similarly interwoven books) but
one with a verbal bent - and I can't see anyone speaking the lines from
that passage even having had the experience in question.

- Philip