Dragaera

Question about Devera

Fri Mar 7 06:04:04 PST 2003

>While we're on the subject of abuses of the English Language did any of you
>see this news tidbit?
>
>http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_756462.html

I did.  And I hate it even when people talk like that when I'm messaging
them.  A certain amount of abbreviation is normal and practical, but this
sort drives me up the wall.

That said, I don't think that this is a big deal or a sign of the impending
collapse of the language.  It's a thirteen year old girl, not the Oxford
dictionary.  A few fail grades on her papers ought to get concept, through
her head, that IM shorthand is a welcome on an essay paper as CB lingo would
be at a forensics debate.