Dragaera

Concerning Great Weapons & Baritt (spoilers for Issola)

Mon Mar 10 17:28:32 PST 2003

Spoilers for _Issola_.

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40

--- Alexx S Kay <alexx at TheWorld.com> wrote:
>> On 10 Mar 2003, Jag wrote:
[...]
>> [3] Tangent four: how sure is it that souls consumed by
>> Morganti weapons are really gone forever?
[...]
> I would say "not remotely", since we have at least one clear
> counterexample.

The concept that souls might be truly immutable and
indestructible (as they are in the Platonic and most Christian
models) is difficult to reconcile with Vlad's concern in
_Issola_ for saving those parts of Lady Teldra that can still be
saved.  If she's really still there, and just can no longer
reach this reality -- and certainly if there were any way to
undo the process -- I would most certainly expect Morrolan (1)
to tell someone about it and (2) to do something about it; and I
would expect much the same of Sethra, who I think is sincere
when she tells Vlad she would never have permitted Teldra's
death / transformation to happen intentionally.  (I know that
Morrolan is unconscious at the end of _Issola_, but I don't
think that Steve has set all this up just to undo it in the next
book.)

I am entertained by the concept of a Morganti weapon as a sort
of metempsychotic shredder, with a storage bin that fills up
with bits and pieces of souls.  Does one of the purple-robed
servants come by periodically to empty the compartment?  Do they
burn-bag or recycle the soulstuff, or just put it out with the
metaphysical trash?

Vlad is strongly of the opinion that a Morganti weapon resembles
a living or semiliving predator, though -- isn't there also a
bit in _Issola_ where Sethra talks about Morganti weapons as
semianimate? -- and while Vlad may always be wrong, I don't
think there's enough evidence on the other side to make us
seriously doubt his perceptions here, nor do I see any reason
for him to lie about this particular fact.

-- Greg