Dragaera

Definitions and Sethra

Mark A Mandel mam at theworld.com
Tue Mar 11 11:02:27 PST 2003

On Sat, 8 Mar 2003, Dr. Elmo wrote:

#Jose Marquez wondered aloud to the group:
# >Dr. Elmo wrote:
# >> OTOH, I'm still in favor of the oread theory, which would allow her to
# >> be alive two and a half eons before becoming undead.
# >
# >Okay, I've been wondering about this for a while now... what's "oread"
# >mean? I'm not having any luck finding it online...
#
# From Greek mythology; an oread is a female spirit linked to a
#mountain.  Compare to "dryad", a female spirit linked to a particular oak tree.

And "naiad": One of a number of beautiful young nymphs imagined as
living in, and being the tutelary spirits of, rivers and springs; a
river-nymph. (OED online)

-- Dr. Whom, Consulting Linguist, Grammarian, Orthoepist, and
   Philological Busybody
   a.k.a. Mark A. Mandel