Dragaera

Issola Spoilers vs. Orca Spoilers

Wed Mar 12 08:11:34 PST 2003

> > Downloading a book for free would be in most cases wrong --
> > sometimes publishers have set up that sort of thing, and of
> > course some are out of copyright.
>
>I don't see what's better about buying a used book from a store than
>getting a photocopy from someone.
[...]

If I may interject, the problem with a photocopy is that the person who made
the copy still retains the original and can continue to make more copies.

If he sells you his copy, the author has already profited from the initial
sale -- the new seller is merely recouping some of his investment by having
you, effectively, refund him for part of his original sale.  If, on the
other hand, he makes 50 copies, that's 49 editions on the market that the
author hasn't been compensated for, and which are competing with legitimate
copies of the work.  It it's an out-of-print title, this may not matter
much, but even then there is always the possibility that the title will be
reprinting, in which case such copies diminish the market for them.

That said, there's never been a serious problem with photocopy piracy
because of the expense and time involved in physically photocopying a work.
Digital media, on the other hand, are rediculously easy to copy.  A single
copy can be multiplied indefinitely, as can all of the copies of copies of
copies, and so forth.  This can quickly lead to a devaluation of the work
and a loss of revenue to the publisher and the author.