Dragaera

drink (was Re: Klava Recipies)

Fri Mar 21 14:39:30 PST 2003

You will have to forgive me, I get this in digest format to maintain
sanity....

> From: "Mark Tiller" <mtiller at ntlworld.com>
> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 09:23:50 -0000
> Subject: RE: drink (was Re: Klava Recipies)
>
> Cascade make a Pale Ale, labels are green, colloquially know as Green
> Death (and yes it deserves the capitalisation) as it's the strongest
> beer they make, 5.2% :)

5.2%!  My favorite, and my boss's favorite(!) IPA is about 6.4%.  This
is Anderson Valley's Hop Ottin' IPA.  My all time fav, (I am a hop
nut) was a very local brewery's Imperial Pale Ale.  It was ~9% or so,
it was hideously expensive but the local pub still served it in
(American) pint glasses....

> From: Jot Powers <books at bofh.com>
> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 02:32:45 -0700
>
> Back in the good old college days we bought a Belgian beer to
> try at a party that was 12.5% a.b.v.  It was...how can I say
> this...um...horrific.

There are a number of high alcohol Belgian brews.  There was one that
was something absurd, like 12%, (called a triple) with the name
Delirium Tremerum.  It is actually pretty good in small doses.

> Belgium is the beer Mecca, to which all true beer-lovers must make
> pilgramage once in their lives.  If they're lucky. :-)

I spend much time with a huge number of Dutch.  The Dutch, as everyone
knows, are superior at all things, just ask them.  The one thing that
they will freely admit, however, is that the Belgians do beer
correctly.

> Did you know that in WWI, Germany conquered Belgium one brewery at a time?
> I saw a picture once of a bunch of German soldiers outside one such
> brewery, all with bottles in their hands and looking quite inebriated.

One wonders how they made it all the way to France....

> From: "Mark Tiller" <mtiller at ntlworld.com>
> Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2003 20:43:43 -0000
> To: "'Chris Olson - SunPS'" <Chrisf.Olson at sun.com>,
> 	<matthew at infodancer.org>,
> 	<dragaera at dragaera.info>
> Subject: RE: Favourite Monty Python movie/sketch was drink (was Re: Klava Recipies)
>

> Thank you,  Actually Life of Brian is my favourite Python movie as well.
>
> Anybody else got opinions on this?

Grail 5 stars
Brian 4 stars
Meaning of Life 5 stars mixed with 1 star at odd intervals.

My uncle says that if the guys in Monty Python were raised Catholic,
The Life of Brain would have been much, much funnier.

--
Bradford Holden
"Let us join the ranks of non-skeptics." - R. G. K.