Dragaera

Liavek

Gaertk at aol.com Gaertk at aol.com
Sat Mar 22 12:32:49 PST 2003

pddb at demesne.com writes:

> On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 11:17:43PM -0600, Beth Friedman
> wrote:
>> In our previous episode at 10:05 PM 3/21/03, >> Gaertk at aol.com wrote:
>>
>>> BTW, I got the impression while reading the [Liavek]
>>> books that the authors believed the series would end at
>>> book four and so they tied up most of their plot threads,
>>> forcing them to scramble to write something for book 5.
>>> And as a result, book 5 had lots of characters acting out
>>> of character for most of the stories (except Mr. Brust's,
>>> of course).
>>
>> That doesn't match my memory of the actual events.
>
> Nor mine.
>
> Volume 5 was the last chance to follow the less evident
> implications of one's previous writing.  I might agree with
> that as a characterization.
>
> We did know 5 was the last, and part of some people's idea
> was to leave things open-ended enough for people who wanted
> to write novels.  There was also some idea of picking up
> some considerable time in the future.  But the scrambling,
> if there was any, happened in 5, not in 4.

Hmm, I'm not sure we're understanding each other.  (Or maybe
I need to reread the books.)

My opinion is that the series should have stopped at book 4.
At that point, everything that needed wrapping up was.  Then
book 5 tried to add on, and it seemed that the authors tried
to surprise the readers, and in so doing, damaged their
characters.

_Liavek: Festival Week_ spoilers:

[I'm picking on Pamela solely because she responded; I've a
much bigger gripe with Shetterly's story.]

I just can't imagine Dialos killing himself like this.  This
is his idea of acting responsibly?  Yes, he's making a point,
but look at the cost, especially to Nerissa.

--KG