Dragaera

drink (was Re: Klava Recipies)

Sat Mar 22 16:04:57 PST 2003

On Sat, Mar 22, 2003 at 04:18:55PM -0800, lazarus <lazarus33pjf at cox.net> wrote:
> >The dynamics on a mailing list are different -- mainly in that
> >you have to download the message before you can filter it out on
> >the subject line, and off-topic messages still sit in mailboxes
> >until deleted, taking up quota space and so on.  As a result,
> >it's not necessarily ideal.
> Ah, I hadn't thought of that.  My newsreader, Agent, can be set up to
> automatically delete based on filters like that, but I understand
> there are many ways of reading the list, including digest form, which
> can't be filtered at all.

It's not so much a software limitation in mail readers as it is
a difference in the design of the mail protocols vs the usenet
protocols.   Usenet is pull-oriented, mail is push-oriented.
One of the disadvantages of push-oriented formats is that you
can't readily choose not to receive a particular message until
after you have already received it (and thus paid whatever
associated cost).

--
Matthew Hunter (matthew at infodancer.org)
Public Key: http://matthew.infodancer.org/public_key.txt