Dragaera

Lord of Castle Black is up at Amazon

Thu May 15 11:36:35 PDT 2003

On Thu, 2003-05-15 at 14:27, BLACKSTOCK, ROB wrote:
> This brings up a good point: how does the process of developing cover
> art for a new book come about?
> Does the artist actually read the book?  Is the artist only given a 2
> paragraph summary of the story and characters?
> For years I've wondered why book covers have so little to do with the
> stories they illustrate... Especially in fantasy fiction.
>
> Does anyone know?

They're given nothing but the name of the book and the author.  From
there they proceed to their local psychic who tries to read the author's
mind and find out about the story.  And based off of that they draw the
coverart.

I think we should be thankful that books have as good of covers at they
do considering that :)